Thursday, 8 March 2012

A Post-Interview Debriefing

So...the interview at Winchester University for the Teacher Trainer Course...did not go well yesterday:-(

A 20 minute written task
A 1-2 interview
A group presentation

I didn't get to say all the things that I wanted to say in the written task, in fact it would be generous to say that I managed to write half of the important factors.  Great!

The 1 - 2 interview was a grilling and a half, the only thing missing was a spot light shone in my face and the handcuffs.  The woman seemed to focus on my secondary school experience and I got the impression that it was a negative focus too.  The man, an ex-head teacher, was...poker faced and about as warm as tepid tap water.  Awesome!

The group presentation...I held my own (well thank f for something Tasha!).

I knew half way through the interview that it was not going well and my heart came out on my sleeve.  Good thing bad thing?...I don't know, all I did know was that my chance of achieving my dream was swiftly taking flight out of the window and I had nothing to lose.  

I was honest, I spoke about my journey so far and how hard I was working to achieve my dream, how hard I HAD already worked, I stressed giving in was not an option.  I talked of my determination to achieve my GCSE Maths, overcoming people who wouldn't give me a chance, people who wouldn't help by even pointing me in the right direction and paying for a private tutor myself.  I spoke about knowing I can do it and would be good at it too...all I needed was someone to take a chance on me.  I told them all I need is someone to REALLY look at me and SEE ME, see my potential and realise my dedication, my passion, my determination to succeed, my unwillingness to ever give up on a child...is worth more than anyone else's experience as a TA in a Primary School.

Did it make a difference?...WILL it make a difference?  I don't know:-(

No comments: